Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thursday Night Supper

It was rainy today. We had the kids in to see the dentist, and by the time I had driven home in the rain, I was spent. Comfort food, here we come!
The winner tonight: gumbo--with okra, chicken, sausage, and shrimp.

I had to learn to make this myself when we went box-free a few years ago, and it was trial and error for quite awhile, but it has turned into an easy option. I make a dry roux which really cuts back the amount of fat and transforms the gumbo to something you WANT to eat, and so then the significant veggie content actually makes it fairly healthy!

Here in Louisiana sometimes we NEED a piece of fried catfish with our gumbo, health-conscious or no.

We washed it down with start-the-weekend-early celebratory Coke floats, made with caffeine-free Coca-Cola and Bluebell Homemade Vanilla. Yummmmmmmmmmy.(They disappeared before I could think of taking a picture!)

What did YOU have for supper tonight?

1 comment:

Allison said...

We had baked ziti, which my hubby said was great (but he DID add garlic powder) garlic bread and broccoli (for the tiny tot)