Thursday, July 14, 2011

I Love Olives!

I opened the fridge in the early hours the day after the all-day, eight-kid playdate, and there they were.
Neatly dispensed and resting in their small square container. . . my best friend's olives.  She had forgotten to take most of her "cold" items with her when she left with her brood the day before, and so I was faced with the difficult decision: do I eat them myself, straight from the box,  do I save them to make something special in hopes my kids don't get to them first, or do I go right ahead and turn them over to the kids for a snack and stop trying to avoid the inevitable?

Then it occurred to me.  I could write a blog. Based on these olives. . . the best of all possible outcomes!
The last three. . . munched while thinking of the possibilities. . .


She also left organic spinach.
:)
I did NOT decide to call this blog "My Best Friend's Spinach". . . (not sure WHY!)

So this will be something of a "food" blog--not meaning each post will have a recipe, as I don't often FOLLOW them. I actually have a love-hate relationship with them. . .though I find them inspiring, they never make it from page to plate unaltered, unpersonalized. Cooking is a VERY personal thing.

So I thought I'd share mine with the world.

Welcome to my odd little corner of the world--my kitchen being the very heart of it.  I hope you don't mind flour on your apron and sugar on the floor--there are children who live and cook and EAT here too...
For goodness' sake! Wipe that sticky spot off the counter before you rest your elbow there!(Trust me on this one!)
 I hope you like to experiment, UNscientifically, because it is impossible to do ANYTHING the same way twice!

I hope you like to have FUN. Because cooking is about more than just filling tummies. . .it's about feeding souls. The first one being YOURS, the cook's. If your soul finds joy in the process, the privilege, and even the perpetuity of meal preparation(the ongoing necessity of it can be daunting, so a girl may as well make it as great as possible, right?) those around your table likely will enjoy it as well--
 They will know that they are LOVED.
And that is the very most important thing.


We'll see how this pans out! Thank you for joining me here!

1 comment:

Allison said...

What do I do with you? I WAS thinking of those MIA olives and spinach Tues night for my veggie pizza. Glad they made your tummy and blogspot very happy. No one I know (other than your daughter) has a such a gift for the written word. I'm just so glad that in cyberworld while others may know you simply online, I have the precious gift of knowing you in real life. :)
P.S. I saw the hidden Mickey. Thanks for putting up with our madness and joining in every once in a while.
love you